Burglary at the Boatshop
Measures Taken to Prevent Another Burglary
The boatshop was burglarized in early February. We are still assessing the magnitude of our loss. However we have taken some measures to assure that this will not happen again.
1. The biggest items we know were taken were the planer, the spindle sander, and the air compressor. The planer has already been replaced, but we do not have a stand for it. If anyone has a rolling stand they would be willing to donate we will be very appreciative.
2. We changed the combination last weekend, and again yesterday. If you are a paid-up member, and have signed a liability waiver the new combination will be sent to you in a separate e-mail. This message is going out to a broader audience. If you do not receive this mail and think you should, please contact John Whitehouse at email@example.com
3. The new lock we put on yesterday is protected by a heavy duty steel shield which should prevent anyone from getting a bolt cutter on it, or a hacksaw or grinder. Unfortunately this makes the new lock more difficult to open. Instructions will be sent out in the mail with the new combination.
4. We have installed a video surveillance system with a motion detector and infrared camera that can see in the dark.
5. We have recorded serial numbers for nearly everything that has one in the shop.
6. We have engraved our name on nearly everything, in prominent places to make the items more identifiable, and less saleable.
Donations to help cover the losses
A number of people have offered to make donations to RiversWest to help cover the losses. We do have theft insurance, but the deductible is $1000. We estimate our loss at around $1500. We have decided not to file a claim as we are worried that it would cause our rates to go up. We are also hoping to reduce our losses by finding deals on Craig's List.
There are two easy ways to make contributions:
1. Send a check to:
PO Box 19324
2. Go to our Donations we page at http://www.riverswest.org/donation.html and donate using PayPal or a credit card
Comments are closed.
Various RiversWest members